2019 CrossFit Open
First off, we at YOW want to state that our primary goal is to see each member’s fitness improve everyday and maximize everyone’s athletic potential to live the best lives we can outside of the box for the entirety of our lives. Our biggest goal in not to have members “peak” or a single event, but to have long, healthy lives with a sustainable level of fitness with the passion to always improve. The Open is an exciting time of the year no doubt, but it’s not our #1 priority and the fitness continues year round.
The Open is a voluntary friendly competition that unites the CrossFit world community once a year. This will be our fifth CrossFit Open at YOW and as always, we’d like as many members to join in the fun as possible but this is not a mandatory event at YOW and it should be fun and STRESS FREE. Again, we want to emphasize that if you feel like a competition will bring on a great deal of anxiety, don’t worry – regular programming will continue throughout the 5-weeks of the Open.
Members who don’t sign up for The Open will have the opportunity to do the workouts as well without a judge during regular classes on Friday, but will not be able to submit an online score at games.crossfit.com. Further to that point, if you’re not doing the WOD with a judge, your score IS NOT COMPARABLE to those competing in the Open. Having a judge changes the workout and I’ll leave it at that.
YOW will not be pressuring members to sign up for the Open, and we’ll only be talking about the Open when the workouts are announced. The only change in schedule is that Open Gym on Sundays will be cancelled for Open competitors but we’ll be replacing the Comp-Dev sessions on Saturdays with an Open gym to compensate.
That being said, if members do decide to sign up for The Open this year, you’ve acknowledged that it is a priority in your life during the 5-weeks of The Open and you’ll be buying into the plan we’ll be implementing this year for your best possible chance at success.
Here are the general guidelines:
- If you plan to do your best, you’ll have to do the workout Thursday night or Friday so that if things go wrong, you may attempt a redo on Sunday or Monday if it’s your only Option
- Friday is the optimal day for your first attempt. If you need to do the workout during Open gym on Saturday and it’s a long workout, it could be a one-and-done as you need to recover at least 24hrs
- If you are doing the workout on Sunday because you have no other choice, the only chance for a redo is Monday between 1pm-3:30pm and you need to coordinate with the coaches to make sure there will be someone there and second, bring in your own judge as coaches may have to be doing other things.
- If the only time you can do the workout is Monday, first, coordinate with the coaches 4 days in advance to make sure they will be someone there and second, it’s a one and done deal – no exceptions.
Schedule of Events during the Week:
- YOW will be hosting an “Open Viewing” every Thursday night at 8:00pm
- First heats will be Thursday at 8:15pm
- Friday heats will be in sync with our regular classes so no change there, just sign up for a class.
- Saturday will be Open gym at 11:30 – if you want to complete the workout during this time, please email us 4 days in advance (Wednesday Night) and bring a judge
- Re-test, if need be, will be Sunday at 11:40am and Monday (with coaches permission and judge) between 1pm-3:30pm. If retesting Monday, again please email us and let us know by Wednesday night and you’ll need to bring a judge
Rest assured we will be having regular programming during the week for all 5 Weeks of The Open. The sessions however will have regular RX workouts and scaled Open RX workouts so members doing The Open won’t burnout during the competition. As previously mentioned, it’s business as usual at YOW regardless if you want to compete in The Open or not.
We wanted to let everyone know our vision for The Open well ahead of time so you can plan accordingly and make your decision in regards to signing up for The Open. Please ask a coach or a member who has done The Open if you have further questions – we’d love to hear from you and answer any questions you might have. Looking forward to everyone having a successful and fun Open season!
Let the games begin!